If you are not interested in paying someone thousands of dollars, you can always initiate a Canadian patent search. However with the booming of Internet, there are several free patent search available. Free patent searches are powered by search engines and include all patents for over few years.
Based on the presentation given by a Canadian patent librarian, we have put together 7 simple steps to conduct your patent search Canada.
- Create a complete list of search terms that tend to describe your invention. Give value to function, use, structure and its effect.
- Flip through the patent classification categories making use of the search terms.
- Identify the classifications that might fit your product. You can make use of the manual of classification to help you.
- Try to research the classes and subclasses of patents to understand where your product best suits. It might fit into more than one class.
- Put a list of patents that can be similar to your invention.
- Search for the references listed in each of the patents both forward and backward to ensure non-infringement.
Generally, a Canadian Patent search websites include all the documented information. However, you will come across multiple websites that contain patent information from other countries. Prior to punching in the keyword, it is important for the searcher to click on the appropriate tab.
The explanation behind the surfeit of free patent inquiry destinations is the colossal workload that national patent workplaces confront every year. National patent workplaces additionally give their own particular free sites to inquiry licenses, so as to reduction their quantum of work. Most thoughts that imply to be unique get stopped from developing in any way when a comparable idea is found.
The flow pattern is to first scan for a patent on a free web index. On top of that if no patent is found, a patent lawyer is drawn nearer for the lawful work. The lawyer will likewise look for the patent on the free web search tool before tolerating the case.